Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never ever before have so many clinical breakthroughs and new methods emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless people the chance to lower or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and quick way to fix vision, but stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help ensure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be deceived by elegant ads about a particular laser. Choose the physician, not the laser. Discover out who will actually do your procedure, then ask about that medical professional's certifications (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Pick a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a physician does not know can hurt you.
4. Request for information on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your physician won't inform you, find another one. For leading surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what steps are taken to prevent infection. Look for a center with a dust-free or sterile operating space. Ensure that non reusable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Beware of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as good as a discount parachute.
Anticipate to see very More hints well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as individual as each patient. Beware of any medical professional who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you most likely are. You're not buying a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or two, implantable lenses will most likely provide much page better vision than LASIK. Consider waiting till the new lenses are offered. Ask your medical professional about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually improved the vision of millions of individuals around the world.